- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
Visit our Newspapers and Family History zone to access hardcopy and microfilm newspapers, family history resources, and material from our microform collection. Please note that there are no collection deliveries in evenings or on weekends and that delivery times vary throughout the week. Check delivery times before you visit.
Situated in the Main Reading Room on the Ground Floor, the area is a comfortable, light and modern environment to conduct your research.
In the Newspapers and Family History zone you will find:
- friendly staff to help you with your research
- major newspapers from across Australia and the world
- extensive microfilm drawers filled with major Australian newspapers
- select family history resources including electoral rolls, parish records and reference books
- modern microform readers
- computers with family history resources, the internet and Microsoft Office suite
- comfortable study areas, complete with powerpoints and free wifi
- print, scan and photocopying facilities.
Newspaper and microform items are delivered from our stacks on weekdays, and generally take 45 minutes to arrive. Some material, hardcopy newspapers in particular, is held at our offsite storage facilities and will take longer to be delivered. Check our collection delivery times before you visit, and please note that delivery times vary between reading rooms.
For reasons of preservation, access to microform copies is preferred to print unless absolutely necessary.
You are welcome to bring handbags or small day bags (under 300mm square) and clear water bottles into the reading room. Food, large bags, coats, umbrellas and other large objects can be stored in our free self-service lockers on Lower Ground 1. Please do not leave personal possessions or bags unattended in the reading room. For the safety of our patrons unattended items may be inspected and removed by authorised officers of the Library.
For the Newspapers and Family History zone opening hours see our opening hours page.