The National Library of Australia offers a range of services for notated music publishers to help them with the publication life cycle.
Get a free International Standard Music Number (ISMN)
An ISMN is a 13-digit number that is used to uniquely identify notated music publications anywhere in the world.
- New to ISMNs? Register as a publisher and get your first ISMNs
- Already registered but need more numbers? Request additional ISMNs
- Have you moved or changed your publisher name? Update your details
- Allocated an ISMN to your publication? Notify the ISMN Agency of your allocation.
Apply for the Prepublication Data Service (PDS)
The Prepublication Data Service is a free service for notated music publishers which makes the details of your upcoming publication available to Australian libraries, library suppliers, and other members of the publishing industry for acquisition purposes.
- Apply for a new PDS for your notated music.
- Make a general enquiry or enquire about an existing Prepublication Data Service application.
- Got questions? Read our FAQ's about the PDS.
Meet your legal deposit obligations
Legal deposit is a requirement for publications to be deposited with the National Library of Australia, and applies to both online and offline Australian publications.
- Deposit your electronic score via National edeposit (NED)
- Find details of where to lodge your printed music on the legal deposit page.
Have a question?
Please direct all enquiries using our online forms. The Agency can no longer be contacted directly by telephone. You will receive a response within 10 working days.
For more information consult our user manual.
Find a music publisher
Search the directory for Australian publishers.