You may request an appointment of up to one hour with a librarian or curator if you require personalised professional guidance about
- resources in the Library’s collection that are relevant to your research, or
- research strategies and methodologies suitable for your specific research.
Our online forms are currently unavailable. If you would like to request an appointment with a Librarian or curator, please call us on +61 (02) 6262 1266 or visit our reading rooms.
The Book a Librarian appointment may be requested
- by phoning our Ask a Librarian number (02) 6262 1266
- in our reading rooms.
After your initial contact, an experienced librarian or curator will:
- contact you within a week to clarify your requirements and to set up a time for the consultation
- give you the choice of a telephone consultation or a consultation in the Library
- spend up to one hour preparing for the consultation
- spend up to an hour with you in consultation.
Before you request an appointment, please note
- the Book a Librarian service is primarily for registered readers (who have a Library card)
- non-registered readers may request an appointment if intending to use our unique collections
- students will generally be referred to their educational institutions
The following assistance is outside the scope of the Book a Librarian service:
- request of a general nature not related to our collections
- teaching basic family history research methodology - see the Library's Family History Research Guide.
- general orientation tours and visits or sessions for special interest groups – see the Library’s school and teacher program and public library tours.