- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
Libraries are required to understand and accept the following conditions of borrowing material from the National Library of Australia’s collections.
Material available for loan
- Libraries may borrow monograph material held at the National Library of Australia.
- Serials and some of the Library's special collections may not be available for loan.
- Due to the range of material it is not possible to clearly outline availability. However we will respond quickly if the item is not available.
- For more information on conditions of lending specific types of material see the National and State Libraries of Australasia Collaborative Lending Principles.
- The loan period for material borrowed from the National Library is 10 weeks.
- If an extension is required please contact us. Additional charges will apply.
- For some special materials for example heavily used newspapers, the loan period is 5 weeks with no extensions.
Overdue and lost items
- Overdue notices are sent at the end of the loan period. If no response is received the material is assumed lost and an invoice generated.
- A first and a final reminder are sent out before issuing the invoice, allowing you enough time to either contact us or return the item.
- The charge for each lost item is $300.00 AUD (GST inclusive). This includes a $150 non-refundable administrative fee on issue of the invoice.