- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
You may be able to obtain copies of birth, death and marriage certificates for England and Wales from the General Register Office for the period 1837 to the present time.
Microfiche indexes to birth, death or marriage registrations in England and Wales from 1837 can be found in our Newspapers and Family History zone. Indexes are also available online via the Ancestry (Library Edition) and the Findmypast UK databases. Both of these resources are only available from within the National Library building.
A number of other online indexes are also available:
- FreeBMD provides a free search on the GRO indexes. This project is not yet complete and a breakdown of coverage is provided.
- Ancestry.co.uk provides free searches and images of index pages.
- BMDindex.co.uk charges a fee for searching the GRO indexes.
The Heraldry & Genealogy Society of Canberra can obtain a copy of the certificate for you, once you have the appropriate details. A cost is involved.
Scotlands People provides an index search and certificate image service for registrations in Scotland.