Tree house? Beach shack? Tiny home? Tin shed? What comes to mind when you think about your dream building?
We've been thinking a lot about our dream buildings this year thanks to our current exhibition, Australian Dreams: Picturing Our Built World, which is the inspiration behind this school holiday diorama building workshop!
Distinct from school project ‘shoebox’ dioramas, these are more in line with techniques used in scale model making, miniatures and tabletop gaming. You'll be able to try out your model building skills and learn some new ones.
These workshops aim to teach practical skills to people with little experience in model making and using common, inexpensive materials and equipment including basic craft supplies and items/resources found around the home.
All participants will receive a construction box full of crafting items to get them started with their model building. Additional crafting items will be supplied during the workshop. Participants will be able to take home their construction boxes and any materials they have used in the construction of their model.
To inspire some creativity, we suggest arriving a little earlier than the workshop start time and giving participants some time to have a look around our Australian Dreams exhibition. The exhibition showcases, paintings, pictures and stories of the buildings throughout our built world.
Ages: Workshops are designed for participants aged 10-15
Duration: 2 hours
Cost: $15 per participant
Times and Dates:
Booking is essential for these school holiday workshops. There are four sessions run over the following times and dates:
- Tuesday 12 January, 10am to 12pm: Book here SOLD OUT
- Thursday 14 January, 10am to 12pm: Book here SOLD OUT
- Tuesday 19 January, 10am to 12pm: Book here SOLD OUT
- Thursday 21 January, 10am to 12pm: Book here SOLD OUT
- As part of the construction box, participants will be given a craft knife. A safety briefing will be given at the commencement of the workshop on the safe and proper use of the craft knives and other materials.
- The workshop will be staffed by Library staff at all times.
- Parents/Guardians are welcome to attend and assist their children during the workshop.