- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
The Library provides access to thousands of ebooks through its website, catalogue and eResources service. These include:
- National Library publications
- Digitised historical books from our collections
- Items published electronically and deposited by publishers under Legal Deposit
- Subscriptions to collections such as Chinese eResources, Early English Books Online and EBSCO eBooks.
What are ebooks?
Ebooks are books published in an electronic format. They can be read by using a personal computer or an ebook reader.
This guide will help you find and view different types of ebooks in the National Library collections.
Ebooks complement the Library’s collections. Subject areas include arts and humanities, Asia Pacific, business and commerce, biography, and social sciences. Our Collection development policy provides the framework for our collecting of Australian and Overseas material.
Many of the National Library's ebooks and digitised materials are available free online; others will require a User ID, found on your Library card.
Registration is free for Australian residents; go to Get a Library card to register.