- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
Most Australian States and Territories provide online indexes to 'historic' births, deaths and marriages registered in their respective jurisdictions. Our Australian birth, death and marriage records research guide has information on how to access these indexes.
The following resources may also be useful when searching for births, deaths and marriages:
Newspapers & Magazines
The Library holds many Australian newspapers in which you can search for birth, death, funeral or marriage notices.
- Trove digitised newspapers
Trove contains Australian digitised newspapers from 1803 to 1954 and some beyond. You can type in the name of the person you are searching for to find out if there were any notices published about them.
- Dawn and New Dawn magazines
Dawn and New Dawn were magazines published between 1952-1975 by the New South Wales Aborigines Welfare Board, with the aim of providing interesting information and an exchange of news and views. The Dawn and New Dawn also served as a way for people to keep in contact. Today the magazines are a valuable source of family history information as they include details of births, deaths, marriages and baptisms, as well as hundreds of photographs. They also contain articles about the conditions and activities on reserves, stations, homes and schools throughout New South Wales. During its time of publication the magazines were also used to highlight the work of the Aboriginal Welfare Board.
- Australian Indigenous Index (formerly InfoKoori)
The State Library of New South Wales has compiled an online index of people mentioned in the Koori Mail newspaper (from 1991-). This index also contains names of people who appear in the Dawn magazine (from 1952-1975). Digitised editions of the Koori Mail, and Dawn magazine can be viewed on the AIATSIS collections online website.
Births, Deaths and Marriage notices or announcements were also published in the relevant church mission or Aboriginal reserve magazines or newspapers. Search the name of the magazine or newspaper via the Library's catalogue.
Church baptism, marriages and burials records
The Library holds various parish records which can can be useful in the absence of official birth, death or marriage registrations. Parish records may contain additional information beyond what is typically available on civil registration certificates.
The following links lead to lists of church and parish registers from each respective State and Territory which are held at the Library:
- Church records and registers - Australian Capital Territory
- Church records and registers - New South Wales
- Church records and registers - Northern Territory
- Church records and registers - Queensland
- Church records and registers - South Australia
- Church records and registers - Tasmania
- Church records and registers - Victoria
- Church records and registers - Western Australia