- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
This page lists New South Wales-related online, networked and microform resources as well as print publications available for use within the National Library of Australia.
Civil registration of births, deaths and marriages in the Colony of New South Wales commenced in 1856. Prior to this date, baptisms, marriages and burials were recorded in Church registers.
The New South Wales civil registration system also included the following areas when under New South Wales administration:
- Federal Capital Territory/Australian Capital Territory
- Northern Territory
The NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages provides free, searchable, online indexes to the following:
- births/baptisms 1788-1915 (ie. up to 100 years ago)
- marriages 1788-1965 (ie. up to 50 years ago)
- deaths/burials 1788-1985 (ie., up to 30 years ago)
Find My Past (World Edition)
You can find Find My Past (World Edition) by visiting our eResources portal and searching for this database under the Browse eResources tab. Currently, Find My Past has the following New South Wales-related BDM records available:
Networked services in the Library
In addition to the Library's subscription databases, the following CD-ROM resources are available for access within the Library. You can find them by visiting our eResources portal and searching for each database under the Browse eResources tab.
- New South Wales Pioneers Index, 1788-1888
Includes church baptisms, marriage and burial records 1788-1856 (incomplete), and
official birth, death and marriage records 1856-1888
- New South Wales Pioneers Index 1889-1918
Includes birth, marriage and death records
- New South Wales Between the Wars Index 1919-1945
includes marriage and death records only
Microfilmed and other published material
Within the Library you may access the following indexes in the Newspapers and Family History zone:
- The New South Wales Between the Wars 1919-1945 [microform] resource includes the following indexes:
Marriage index 1919-1945, and
Death index 1919-1945
mc N 1369
- Registers of births, deaths and marriages from NSW churches prior to Civil Registration in 1856.
The records form part of the State Archives and Records NSW Genealogical Research Kit - Stage 1.
These records can be identified by having volume reference numbers beginning with V in the above indexes.
Eg. V183214 26 (year = 1832, entry no = 14., volume no. = 26)
The Library holds microfilmed copies of Volumes 1-123 out of a total of 158 volumes and are contained in the Microfilm drawer labelled 'NEW SOUTH WALES 1'. Each microfilm box is labelled with both the Library Call Number 'mfm N 229' and the respective State Archives and Records NSW Reel number (AO 5001 to AO 5048).
Copies of entries in volumes not held by the Library may be purchased directly from the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
NB: There are occasional Errors in the Place of Registration on the indexes.