- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
This page lists Tasmanian-related online, networked and microform resources as well as print publications available for use within the National Library of Australia.
Compulsory registration in Tasmania was introduced in December 1838.
Ancestry (Library Edition)
You can find Ancestry.com by visiting our eResources portal and searching for this database under the Browse eResources tab. Currently Ancestry has no Tasmanian-specific BDM records available through its databases.
Find My Past (World Edition)
You can find Find My Past (World Edition) by visiting our eResources portal and searching for this database under the Browse eResources tab. Currently, Find My Past has the following Tasmanian-related BDM records available:
Libraries Tasmania (formerly LINC Tasmania)
The Tasmanian Names Index on the Libraries Tasmania website provides indexes to the following BDM-related resources:
- Births (1803-1933). People born in Tasmania including some baptisms collected by the Registrar General (1900-1933 baptisms only)
- Marriages (1803-1899). People who married in Tasmania.
- Divorces (1861-1920). Petitions for divorce in the Tasmanian Supreme Court.
- Deaths (1803-1933). People who died in Tasmania including some burial records collected by the Registrar General (1900-1933 burials only).
Networked resources in the Library
In addition to the Library's subscription databases, the following CD-ROM resources are available for access within the Library. You can find them by visiting our eResources portal and searching for each database under the Browse eResources tab.
- Tasmanian Pioneer Index 1803-1899
This CD-ROM resource from the Archives Office of Tasmania contains indexes to births, deaths and marriages registered in Tasmania from 1803 to 1899 comprising:
Church records for baptisms, marriage and burials 1803-1838, and
Official birth, death and marriage records 1838-1899.
NB: Full certificates are available on microfilm in the Newspapers and Family History zone at Call Number Mfm N 220.
- Tasmanian Federation Index
This CD-ROM resource from the Archives Office of Tasmania contains indexes to the following events and date ranges:
Deaths 1900-1930 (This includes war deaths (WWI) of those who enrolled in Tasmania to serve with the Australian Imperial Forces and who died in service.
Available on the Newspapers and Family History zone standalone PC.
Microfilmed and other published material
Registrar-Generals Department pre-1900 births, deaths and marriages records, Tasmania
Microfilm Drawer TASMANIA 1; Call no.: mfm N 220.
Refer to the Register-General's guide in the Newspapers and Family History zone Reference Collection at RX mfm N 220 to locate reel numbers.