This page lists Tasmanian-related online, networked and microform resources as well as print publications available for use within the National Library of Australia.
Compulsory registration in Tasmania was introduced in December 1838.
Ancestry (Library Edition)
You can find Ancestry by visiting our eResources portal and searching for this database under the Browse eResources tab. Currently Ancestry has the following Tasmanian-specific BDM records available through its databases:
- Tasmania, Australia, Index to Birth Notices in The Mercury, 1854-1930
- Tasmania, Australia, Index to Death Notices in The Mercury, 1854-1930
- Tasmania, Australia, Index to Marriage Notices in The Mercury, 1854-1962
Findmypast (World Edition)
You can find Findmypast (World Edition) by visiting our eResources portal and searching for this database under the Browse eResources tab. Currently, Findmypast has the following Tasmanian-related BDM records available:
Libraries Tasmania (formerly LINC Tasmania)
The Tasmanian Names Index on the Libraries Tasmania website provides indexes to the following BDM-related resources:
- Births (1803-1933). People born in Tasmania including some baptisms collected by the Registrar General (1900-1933 baptisms only)
- Marriages (1804-1899). People who married in Tasmania.
- Divorces (1861-1920). Petitions for divorce in the Tasmanian Supreme Court.
- Deaths (1803-1939). People who died in Tasmania including some burial records collected by the Registrar General (1900-1933 burials only).
CD-ROMs in the Library
In addition to the Library's subscription databases, the following CD-ROM resources are available for access within the Library.
- Tasmanian Pioneer Index 1803-1899
This CD-ROM resource from the Archives Office of Tasmania contains indexes to births, deaths and marriages registered in Tasmania from 1803 to 1899 comprising:
Church records for baptisms, marriage and burials 1803-1838, and
Official birth, death and marriage records 1838-1899.
NB: Full certificates are available on microfilm in the Newspapers and Family History zone at Call Number Mfm N 220.
- Tasmanian Federation Index
This CD-ROM resource from the Archives Office of Tasmania contains indexes to the following events and date ranges:
Deaths 1900-1930 (This includes war deaths (WWI) of those who enrolled in Tasmania to serve with the Australian Imperial Forces and who died in service.
Microfilmed and other published material
Registrar-Generals Department pre-1900 births, deaths and marriages records, Tasmania
Microfilm Drawer in Bay 3; Call no.: mfm N 220.
Refer to the Register-General's guide in the Newspapers and Family History zone Reference Collection at RX mfm N 220 to locate reel numbers.
Divorce records for Tasmania commence from 1861 onwards.
Divorce records for Tasmania for years 1861-1920 have been digitised and can be searched and viewed via the Tasmanian Names Index.
Records from 1920-1975 are held by the Supreme Court of Tasmania, and have been indexed online up to 1934.
From 1976 onward, divorce records are the responsibility of the Commonwealth Family Court of Australia.