- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
This page lists Victorian-related online, networked and microform resources as well as print publications available for use within the National Library of Australia.
Currently Ancestry has no Victorian-specific BDM records available through its databases.
Currently, Find My Past has the following Victoria-related BDM records available:
The Victorian Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages now provides a free searchable Historical index to the following:
- Church baptisms, marriages and burials 1836-1853
- Births 1853-1914
- Marriages 1853-1942
- Deaths 1853-1985
- Events at sea (Marine) births, deaths and marriages on ships bound for Victoria between 1853 and 1920. Ship's names are included on this index.
PDF images of historical certificates can be purchased and immediately downloaded online.
Networked resources in the Library
In addition to the Library's subscription databases, the following CD-ROM resources are available for access within the Library:
- Victorian Pioneers Index 1837-1888
Index to: birth, death and marriage registrations in Victoria from 1837 to 1888; Church baptism, marriage and burial records 1837-1856; Official birth, death and marriage records 1856-1888.
- Federation Index. Victoria 1889-1901 Index to Births, Deaths and Marriages in Victoria
Index to Victorian birth, death and marriage records 1889-1901.
- Edwardian Index. Victoria 1902-1913 Index to Births, Deaths and Marriages in Victoria
Index to Victorian birth, death and marriage records 1902-1913.
- Great War Index. Victoria 1914-1920 Index to Births, Deaths and Marriages in Victoria
Index to Victorian birth, death and marriage records 1914-1920.
- Marriage Index, Victoria 1921-1942
This publication contains nearly 800,000 index entries representing over 300,000 marriages registered in Victoria from 1921-1941.
- Death Index, Victoria 1921-1985
Index to Victorian death records 1921-1985.
- Inquest Index Victoria 1840-1985
Index to Victorian inquests 1840-1985
- Index to Victorian Wills, Probate and Administration Records 1841-1925
The following resource is available on the standalone PC in the Newspapers and Family History zone:
- Marine Births, Deaths and Marriages, Victoria 1853-1920
Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, Victoria: This electronic resource contains 6200 records of births, deaths and marriages on board international and coastal ships bound for Victoria between 1853 and 1920.
Microfilmed and other published material
The following microfilmed products and published works are available on open access in the Newspapers and Family History zone:
- Victorian pioneers index c1837-1888 [microform] : index to births, deaths & marriage records held by Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages, Victoria, Australia
mc N 1059
- Federation index. Victoria 1889-1901 [microform] : Index to births, deaths and marriages in Victoria
mc N 1555
- Edwardian index. Victoria 1902-1913 [microform] : Index to births, deaths and marriages in Victoria
mc N 1557
- Great War index. Victoria 1914-1920 [microform] : Index to births, deaths and marriages in Victoria
mc N 1556
- Death index, Victoria 1921-1985 [microform] : deaths registered in Victoria
mc N 1921