This page lists Victorian-related online, networked and microform resources as well as print publications available for use within the National Library of Australia.
Ancestry (Library Edition)
You can find Ancestry by visiting our eResources portal and searching for this database under the Browse eResources tab. Currently, Ancestry has the following Victoria-related BDM records available:.
Findmypast (World Edition)
You can find Findmypast (World Edition) by visiting our eResources portal and searching for this database under the Browse eResources tab. Currently, Findmypast has the following Victoria-related BDM records available:
The Victorian Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages now provides a free searchable Historical index to the following:
- Church baptisms, marriages and burials 1836-1853
- Births 1853 -100 years ago
- Marriages 1853 - 60 years ago
- Deaths 1853 - 30 years ago
- Events at sea (Marine) births, deaths and marriages on ships bound for Victoria between 1853 and 1920. Ship's names are included on this index.
PDF images of historical certificates can be purchased and immediately downloaded online.
An index to Victorian Wills, Probate and Administration Records. Only records from 1841-1925 can be viewed online.
CD-ROMs in the Library
In addition to the Library's subscription databases, the following CD-ROM resources are available for access within the Library.
- Victorian Pioneers Index 1837-1888
Index to: birth, death and marriage registrations in Victoria from 1837 to 1888; Church baptism, marriage and burial records 1837-1856; Official birth, death and marriage records 1856-1888.
- Federation Index. Victoria 1889-1901 Index to Births, Deaths and Marriages in Victoria
Index to Victorian birth, death and marriage records 1889-1901.
- Edwardian Index. Victoria 1902-1913 Index to Births, Deaths and Marriages in Victoria
Index to Victorian birth, death and marriage records 1902-1913.
- Great War Index. Victoria 1914-1920 Index to Births, Deaths and Marriages in Victoria
Index to Victorian birth, death and marriage records 1914-1920.
- Marriage Index, Victoria 1921-1942
This publication contains nearly 800,000 index entries representing over 300,000 marriages registered in Victoria from 1921-1941.
- Death Index, Victoria 1921-1985
Index to Victorian death records 1921-1985.
- Inquest Index Victoria 1840-1985
Index to Victorian inquests 1840-1985
- Marine Births, Deaths and Marriages, Victoria 1853-1920
Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, Victoria: This electronic resource contains 6200 records of births, deaths and marriages on board international and coastal ships bound for Victoria between 1853 and 1920.
Microfilmed and other published material
The following microfilmed products and published works are available on open access in the Newspapers and Family History zone:
- Victorian pioneers index c1837-1888 [microform] : index to births, deaths & marriage records held by Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages, Victoria, Australia
mc N 1059
- Federation index. Victoria 1889-1901 [microform] : Index to births, deaths and marriages in Victoria
mc N 1555
- Edwardian index. Victoria 1902-1913 [microform] : Index to births, deaths and marriages in Victoria
mc N 1557
- Great War index. Victoria 1914-1920 [microform] : Index to births, deaths and marriages in Victoria
mc N 1556
- Death index, Victoria 1921-1985 [microform] : deaths registered in Victoria
mc N 1921
Divorce records for Victoria commence from 1861 onward.
The Supreme Court heard divorce cases in Victoria until 1975.
The Public Record Office of Victoria (PROV) hold records of divorce cases up until the end of 1944. Refer to their Divorce files and cause books webpage for further information. Digitised copies of these records can now be accessed through the Ancestry database.
From 1976 onward, divorce records are the responsibility of the Commonwealth Family Court of Australia.