- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
This page lists South Australian-related online, networked and microform resources as well as print publications available for use within the National Library of Australia.
Find My Past (World Edition)
You can find Find My Past (World Edition) by visiting our eResources portal and searching for this database under the Browse eResources tab. Currently, Find My Past has the following South Australia-related BDM records available:
- South Australia Baptisms and Confirmations
- South Australia Births 1842-1928
- South Australia Stillbirths
- South Australian Births
- South Australia Marriages 1842-1937
- South Australian Marriages
- South Australia Deaths 1842-1972
- South Australia Remote Deaths 1851-1965
- South Australia Unregistered Deaths 1840-1970
- South Australia Newspaper Obituaries 1864-1916
- South Australian Deaths
The South Australian Government Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry does not provide an online searchable index service. However, Genealogy SA does provide an equivalent service through their free Online Database Search. This includes:
- Birth Registration Certificates Index 1842 - 1928
- Death Registration Certificates Index 1842 - 1972
- Marriage Registration Certificates Index 1842 - 1937
- Newspaper Birth Notices Index from 1960 onwards
- Newspaper Death Notices Index from 1972 onwards
- South Australia Cemeteries Index
CD-ROMs in the Library
In addition to the Library's subscription databases, the following CD-ROM resources are available for access within the Library.
- South Australian Births, Registrations 1842 to 1906
This CD-ROM resource contains a compilation of data from the South Australian birth records between 1842 and 1906. Information that may be available includes: Surname; Given names; Date; Sex; Father; Mother; Birthplace/Residence; District; Book; Page; Cross-references.
- South Australian Births, Registrations 1907 to 1928
This CD-ROM resource contains over 220,000 records of births registered in South Australia under a compulsory registration system introduced in 1842. It contains births registered between 1907 and 1928, as well as many late registrations where the birth occurred many years earlier. Information that may be available includes: Surname; Given names; Date; Sex; Father; Mother; Birthplace/Residence; District; Book; Page; Cross-references.
- South Australian Marriages Registrations 1842 to 1937
Contains records of marriages registered in the state under a compulsory registration system introduced in 1842
- South Australian Deaths Registrations 1842 to 1915
This publication contains over 225,000 records of deaths registered in South Australia under a compulsory registration system introduced in 1842.
- South Australian deaths registrations 1916 to 1972
The last publication in the South Australian Birth, Death and Marriage Series, this index from 1916-1972 contains over 381,000 death entries that occurred during this period, as well as including 131 registrations of people whose deaths occurred before 1916, but were registered later (including one from 1885) It also covers the wars from the Great War to the Vietnam War with more than 3,700 designated war deaths
- Unregistered Deaths in South Australia from July 1842
This is a collection of death records found in various South Australian sources that do not seem to have been registered with the Principal Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Adelaide.
Divorce records for South Australia commence from 1858 onward.
The State Archives of South Australia holds divorce records from 1858-1975. Refer to their guide for further information on records they hold.
From 1976 onward, divorce records are the responsibility of the Commonwealth Family Court of Australia.