The National Library of Australia provides access to or holds within its collections a wide range of resources and material relating to Australian companies. These include:
- company histories
- annual reports
- interviews with prominent business men and women
These resources may be current or historic and available in a variety of formats including online, printed, pictorial, manuscript or audio.
Using the catalogue
Use the catalogue standard search to find titles, authors or subjects.
- If you get too many results, use the Narrow search options (at the far right of the page) to display only those items you're interested in,
- to see what you can view from home, use the link to 'NLA digitised material' on the right of the results page,
- if you need to widen your search, click on subject headings in an item's Catalogue record to find other material related to that subject.
Although you can't browse the Library's shelves in person, you can use the Catalogue to browse by title, author, subject or Dewey number.
To search for works about an individual company, select the Browse subjects option and enter the company’s name:
To search for general works about Australian companies, select the Browse alphabetically tab, then subjects. Some examples are:
You can also search for specific types of companies:
The Library also holds a large collection of company annual reports. These can also be known as 'Report ot shareholders'. 'Annual review' or 'Summary review'. You can find them in the Catalogue by selecting the Browse subjects option and entering the company's name. Look for entries with the subheading 'Periodicals':
Industry specific directories can be found using the Browse subject option:
- Banks and banking -- Australia -- Directories
- Insurance companies -- Australia -- Directories
- Petroleum industry and trade -- Australia -- Directories