This page lists Northern Territory-related online, networked and microform resources as well as print publications available for use within the National Library of Australia.
The area now known as the Northern Territory was originally part of New South Wales until it was formally annexed to South Australia in 1863. Between 1863-1910 the 'Northern Territory of South Australia' was administered from Adelaide. From 1 January 1911 administration of the Territory was assumed by the Commonwealth Government. Self-Government was granted in 1978.
Records relating to immigration and shipping for each of the different periods of governance are held in the respective Commonwealth, State or Territory archives.
Ancestry (Library Edition)
- Currently Ancestry has no Northern Territory-related immigration records available through its databases.
- To access Ancestry (Library Edition), visit the eResources portal, click the Browse eResources tab and search for 'Ancestry'.
Findmypast (World Edition)
- Aliens Registered In The Northern Territory 1916-1921
(includes names and locations of individuals but not their arrival dates or ships)
- To access Findmypast (World Edition), visit the eResources portal, click the Browse eResources tab and search for 'Findmypast'.
- Register of Census Returns, Election Returns, Overlanders, Passenger Departures, Passenger Arrivals
This digitised register mostly comprises alphabetic lists from the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses and some election results, but also includes lists of Overlanders from 1879 to 1883 and several lists of passengers departing and arriving at Port Darwin between 1872 and 1874.
Indexes to part of the content are also available on microfiche in the Library's Newspapers and Family History zone at Call Numbers mc N 347 (1901 census), mc N 348 (1881 and 1891 censuses) and mc N 352 (overlanders).
Networked resources in the Library
There are currently no networked Northern Territory-related immigration or shipping resources at the Library.
Microfilmed and other published material
The following Northern Territory-related shipping, immigration and passenger records on microfiche are located in the Newspapers and Family History zone:
The following indexes may also refer to people arriving in the Northern Territory as passengers: