- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
This page lists Northern Territory-related online, networked and microform resources as well as print publications available for use within the National Library of Australia.
The area now known as the Northern Territory was originally part of New South Wales until it was formally annexed to South Australia in 1863. Between 1863-1910 the 'Northern Territory of South Australia' was administered from Adelaide. From 1 January 1911 administration of the Territory was assumed by the Commonwealth Government. Self-Government was granted in 1978.
Records relating to immigration and shipping for each of the different periods of governance are held in the respective Commonwealth, State or Territory archives.
Ancestry (Library Edition)
- Currently Ancestry has no Northern Territory-related immigration records available through its databases.
- To access Ancestry (Library Edition), visit the eResources portal, click the Browse eResources tab and search for 'Ancestry'.
Find My Past (World Edition)
- Aliens Registered In The Northern Territory 1916-1921
(includes names and locations of individuals but not their arrival dates or ships)
- To access Find My Past (World Edition), visit the eResources portal, click the Browse eResources tab and search for 'Find my past'.
- Register of Census Returns, Election Returns, Overlanders, Passenger Departures, Passenger Arrivals
This digitised record includes alphabetic lists from the 1881, 1891 and 1901 Census as well as a list of Overlanders and several lists of passengers
Indexes to part of the content are also available on the Library's microfiche at Call Numbers mc N 348, mc N 348 and mc N 352
Networked resources in the Library
There are currently no networked Northern Territory-related immigration or shipping resources at the Library.
Microfilmed and other published material
The following Northern Territory-related shipping, immigration and passenger records on microfiche are located in the Newspapers and Family History zone:
The following indexes may also refer to people arriving in the Northern Territory as passengers: