- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
Aitken, A., photographer, On the set of the film Two minutes silence, New South Wales, 12 May 1932, nla.obj-162472775
How do you find Australian drama?
Start with the Library Catalogue
- select the Browse alphabetically tab
- choose subjects from the drop-down list
- Type your keywords in the search bar
- The Campbell Howard Annotated Index of Australian Plays 1920-1955 (1993) Jack Bedson and Julian Croft (eds.)
- After The Doll : Australian Drama Since 1955 (1979) by Peter Fitzpatrick
- Playing with Ideas : Australian Women Playwrights from the Suffragettes to the Sixties (1999) by Susan Pfisterer and Carolyn Pickett
- Australian Contemporary Drama (1995) by Dennis Carroll
- Modern Australian Plays (1993) by Elizabeth Webby
How can you find drama in our online databases?
AustLit: the resource for Australian literature a key resource for information about Australian writers and writing covering the 1780s to the present. With an author search, you can find lists of publications, collections of plays, criticisms, links to online access for reviews of plays, awards lists and biographies of major playwrights.
- Select the Research tab at the top of the page
- Scroll down and under 'More projects' find Drama
This opens the Australian Drama subset. Select 'Using the data' in the left menu for information about how to search the collection.
If you are a registered member of the National Library you can access AustLit from home.
Biographical information about a playwright
I am the literary manager of a theatre company which will soon be mounting a production of The Sum of Us by Australian playwright, David Stevens. Do you have any current biographical information on the playwright to include in our newsletter?
1. Starting with the National Library Catalogue, we can find a file of newspaper cuttings about David Stevens, however these are taken from newspapers in the 1990s. Stevens left Australia to live in the United States in 1987.
2. A biography of Stevens' early life, as well as a list of his works and awards, is at AustLit, but again there is little recent detail. In the US he has worked as a director and producer; lists of his work can be found online.
3. A search of newspaper reviews and features through Factiva did not reveal any further items. In this case, there appears to be very little current biographical information about this playwright.
4. We can also download a 1994 interview from a Brisbane radio station website This includes a reference to The Sum of Us but little recent information.