- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
Curent statistics online
Some of the major overseas government statistical agencies, the equivalents of the Australian Bureau of Statistics, provide comprehensive, free information from national to local levels.
Office for National Statistics provides statistics on the United Kingdom's economy, population and society at national and local level.
Eurostat is the European Union's statistical information service, and is also available in French and German language versions.
United Nations Statistical Databases provides global statistical information from a single entry point.
Statistics New Zealand is New Zealand's major source of official statistics.
Print resources in the National Library
Start with the Library Catalogue
- select the Browse alphabetically tab
- choose subjects from the drop-down list
- Type your keywords in the search bar
Example: Statistics -- Canada
To find statistical publications on specific countries browse the Reference Collection from RF 314 to RF 319
The Europa World Year Book Provides statistical summaries for all countries on population, health, agriculture, finance, industry, economics, transport, media and education. This publication has changed title over the years and each new title has its own record in the catalogue. See the Former Title section of the catalogue record. The latest issue is held in Reference.
Whitaker’s Almanack Provides statistical summaries for all countries, including area, population and finance. This publication has changed title over the years and each new title has its own record in the catalogue. See the Former Title section of the catalogue record. The latest issue is held in Reference.
The SBS World Guide Provides a fact file on every country, including statistical information on population and demography, economy, bioresources, industry, communications, education, and defence.
Eurostat Yearbook Official yearbook of Eurostat, the Statistical Office of the European Communities. Provides statistical information on population, economics, environment, science, finance and agriculture presented in graphical form. The latest issue is held in Reference.
Monthly Bulletin of Statistics Published by the United Nation’s Department of Economic and Social Affairs this publication presents monthly economic statistics for most of the countries and territories of the world. This publication has changed title over the years and each new title has its own record in the catalogue. See the Former Title section of the catalogue record.
A researcher needs to find the following information for the years 1950 to 2008:
- Annual lists of countries in the world by GDP per capita
- Annual lists of countries in the world by GDP growth rate
- Annual Balances of Payments of Vietnam , Singapore , Malaysia , Philippines , Thailand, China
Because of the range of dates needed, we will need to use both print and online resources to find this information.
Data is available online from the United Nations Statistical Division website. Lists include GDP for all countries, in National Currency and US Dollars, and countries in the world with growth rate by GDP. The lists are given from 1970.
Printed sources include:
- International Historical Statistics: Africa, Asia and Oceania 1750-2005
- International historical statistics : Europe, 1750-2000 These publications include historical figures on Balances of Payments and GDP
- Balance of payments statistics. Yearbook / International Monetary Fund Contains information on the Balance of Payments for all countries.
Some of the later figures may be found online at the various national statistical agencies, for example we could try a search of Statistics Singapore