- Australian Bureau of Statistics Help Index
First time visitors to the ABS website can start here
A gateway that provides access to the information and services of the Australian, State, Territory and Local Governments.
A good way to locate statistics for particular jurisdictions is to go to that government's home page and use the site search function.
If you can't visit the National Library in Cenberra, search Trove to find items of interest in a library near you.
Current statistics online
The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) is usually the first stop for statistics information. Check some of the statistics available in the menu on the home page, including:
More useful pages from the ABS:
Other websites with Australian national statistics:
- Monthly statistical bulletin from the Parliamentary Library. Scroll down for the tables and explanations available to the public
- Reserve Bank of Australia, the primary source for Australian financial statistics
- Bureau of Meteorology - Climate Data Online (CDO) provides access to a range of statistics, recent weather observations and climate data
- Department of Health and Ageing - under Resources, search for "statistics"
Finding print resources in the National Library
- select the Browse alphabetically tab
- choose subjects from the drop-down list
- Type your keywords in the search bar
- Year book, Australia - the principal reference work produced by the Australian Bureau of Statistics. It provides a comprehensive and detailed statistical overview of various aspects of the economy and social conditions in Australia. The latest issue is held in the Main Reading Room Reference Collection.
- Catalogue of official statistical publications - lists all publications which have been released by ABS' Central Office, Canberra from 1906 to 1986. In the Main Reading Room Reference Collection.
The little book of Australia by David Dale Allen & Unwin, Crows Nest, N.S.W. : 2010
This book contains humourous and interesting facts, figures and quotations about Australia. Chapters with condensed statisitics include "The bits that make us" and "The things we like."
CATALOGUE SEARCH TIP
When browsing the National Library of Australia catalogue, check the menu for Similar items. This may help expand your search.