- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
Our newspaper collections include digitised historic and modern newspapers accessible online, as well as newspapers in microform and paper formats.
Our newspaper collections include digitised historic and modern newspapers accessible online, as well as newspapers in microform and paper formats. We collect:
- Australian newspapers—capital city dailies, major regional city newspapers, a range of other country town newspapers, newspapers published by ethnic groups and political organisations, and newspapers representing special interests. Our Library cooperates with the state and territory libraries through the Australian Newspaper Plan to collect, preserve and provide access to Australian newspapers, with each library taking responsibility for newspapers published in their jurisdiction.
- Digitised Australian newspapers including the first newspaper published in Australia, the Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser, are freely available through Trove
- Overseas newspapers—we have the largest collection of overseas newspapers in Australia. Our newspaper collections from Asia and the Pacific region are particularly strong.
- Online versions of overseas and Australian newspapers through major full-text databases such as: Factiva, the Times Digital Archive, China Core Newspaper Database and many more - are available to registered users of the Library.
How the collection is arranged
All of our newspapers and newspaper indexes may be found in our catalogue.
The Print and microfilm newspapers can be accessed in our reading room. Some Australian and overseas newspapers are available online to registered users through databases that the Library subscribes to. Trove provides freely available access to our digitised historic Australian newspapers.
Wanted: Australia's Missing Newspapers
We need your help to find missing newspapers!
Click here to view a list of newspapers which are missing from Australian library collections.
If you find any of the missing newspapers on the list, we want to hear from you - please contact us!
Newspapers didn’t just report the news. They told stories of their times through ads, photographs, and even their design—stories we want to save for all Australians.