- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
How to access New South Wales cemetery and burial records online and in the Library.
Current cemeteries and crematoria
Details of current cemeteries, crematoria and memorial gardens in New South Wales can be located in several ways. These include:
- Search of municipality, shire or town council websites
eg: A search for 'shire' and 'parkes' in Google reveals the entry for Parkes Shire Council. A browse of their website reveals a webpage for Cemeteries under their 'Living Here' menu. The 'Cemeteries' page lists seven cemeteries, current and historic.
NB: Not all local governments or councils use the same navigation methods, provide relevant information about cemetery facilities or have the means to provide an online searching facility for burials, however their websites are always worth checking if their area of jurisdiction is where your cemetery or burial site of interest is located.
Sydney cemeteries and crematoria
The Sydney region has a number of current and historic cemeteries, for which a number have online lists or search facilities to locate the names of deceased. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Rookwood Anglican and General Cemeteries
- Catholic Cemeteries and Crematoria (includes Rookwood Necropolis)
- Jewish Cemetery Rookwood
- Macquarie Park Cemetery and Crematorium (North Ryde)
- Woronora General Cemetery and Crematorium (Sutherland)
- Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park (Matraville)
- Waverley Cemetery (Bronte)
- Balmain Cemetery (Leichhardt)
In the Library
You may request the following CD-ROM indexes through the Library's catalogue for access within the Library.
Within the Library you may also access the following publications in the Newspapers and Family History zone:
Johnson, Keith A. & Sainty, Malcolm R. 2001, Sydney burial ground 1819-1901 : Elizabeth and Devonshire streets and history of Sydney's early cemeteries from 1788 / by Keith A. Johnson and Malcolm R. Sainty Library of Australia History Sydney
Call number RXq 929.5099441 J67