- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
How to access Tasmanian cemetery and burial records online and in the Library.
Current cemeteries and crematoria
Details of current cemeteries, crematoria and memorial gardens in Tasmania can be located in several ways. These include:
- Search of municipality, shire or town council websites eg: A search for 'shire' and 'Launceston' in Google reveals the entry for Launceston City Council.
A browse of the Launceston City Council website reveals a webpage for Carr Villa Memorial Park, found under their 'menu'. The 'Carr Villa Memorial Park' page provides information about the Park which is Launceston's major cemetery and crematorium, as well as providing a search facility for their burial records.
- Alternatively you can locate an up-to-date list and Links to Tasmanian Councils via the Local Government Association Tasmania website.
NB: Not all local governments or councils use the same navigation method or have the means to provide an online searching facility but their websites are always worth a look if their area of jurisdiction is where your cemeteries of interest are located.
Hobart cemeteries and crematoria
The Southern Regional Cemetery Act 1981 was repealed under the Government Business Enterprises (Sale) Amendment Act 2007 and in July 2008, Millingtons Funeral Directors took over the Trust's role. However, the State's interests under the Burial and Cremation Act 2002 continue to be administered by the Department of Premier & Cabinet.
Millingtons currently manage the following six cemeteries in the Hobart area:
- Cornelian Bay
- East Risdon
- Mornington Memorial Gardens (Mornington Funeral Centre (Eastern Shore) Crematorium & Memorial Gardens)
- Ponville Catholic
Millingtons provide a Records Search facility on their website for all except the Ponville Catholic cemetery.
In the Library - eResources and other
Tombstone And Memorial Inscriptions Of Tasmania (TAMIOT)
A consolidated index and listing of all memorials transcribed to 1998 except Carr Villa, Launceston and Cornelian Bay.
- Online - Data from 2nd edition (1999) is included in the Australia Cemetery Index, 1808-2007 on the Ancestry database.
- On CD-ROM - Available on CD-ROM at Call number Nmt 2010-262 (eCallslip required)
- On microform - Microfiche Compartment 18; Call number mc N 981
- Cemeteries of Southern Tasmania
v. 3 Queenborough cemetery, Hobart
Microfiche Compartment 18; Call number mc N 2041
- Cemeteries of Southern Tasmania
v. 5 Cornelian Bay, Hobart
Available on microform at Call number mc N 2041
- Miscellaneous Tasmanian parish records: St. David's Church Hobart 1890 - 1927
Microfiche Compartment 18; Call number mc N 2185
- The Carr Villa Memorial Park memorial cemetery and crematorium records
Contains records for the period 1905-1989, including
--Crematorium burial records
--Lawn cemetery burial records
--Monumental cemetery burial records
--Monumental lawn cemetery burial records.
Microfiche Compartment 18; Call number mc N 1027
- Lilydale and Nabowla memorials
--Lilydale General Cemetery memorials
--Lilydale General Cemetery without memorials
--Nabowla General Cemetery
Microfiche Compartment 18; Call number mc N 1294
- Miscellaneous Tasmanian Parish Records : country, 1837-1972
Microfiche Compartment 18; Call number mc N 2186
- Nabowla General Cemetery
Microfiche Compartment 18; Call number mc N 1504