The National Archives of Australia holds the records of the Commonwealth government in both Canberra and State/Territory offices.
NATIONAL ARCHIVES OF AUSTRALIA
State and Territory libraries
State and territory libraries hold family history collections specialising in resources for their jurisdiction and a selection of material relating to other areas of Australia and overseas.
- Australian Capital Territory Heritage Library
- Library & Archives NT
- State Library of New South Wales
- State Library of Queensland
- State Library of South Australia
- Libraries Tasmania
- State Library of Victoria
- State Library of Western Australia
State and Territory archives
State and Territory archives hold the records of government for their respective jurisdiction. Some archive websites allow users to freely search indexes to the material held in that archive eg. immigration, convict records, census, court records, hospitals, divorce, land, patents etc.