The National Archives (UK) holds many records which can help you find out about people's lives, deaths and careers.
The National Archives (of Ireland) Genealogy website provides access to:
- Census Records for 1901 and 1911
- Census survivals for 1821-51
- Census Search forms for 1841-51
- Tithe Applotment Books from 1823 to 1837
- Soldiers’ Wills from 1914 to 1917, and the
- Calendars of Wills and Administrations from 1858 to 1922
Overseas family history-related resources are available in a variety of formats including online, CDROM, microfiche, microfilm and books. Overseas libraries and archives hold material relevant to their own region. See our Other libraries and archives page in this guide.
Many family history resources are available electronically. You can search eResources for known databases or browse titles under Genealogy (visit the eResources portal, click the Browse eResources tab and select Genealogy).
In eResources you can find bookmarked free websites, networked family history CDs and subscription services. You will need to come to the Library's reading rooms to use some of these.
Ancestry (Library edition)
Visit the eResources portal, click the Browse eResources tab and search for 'ancestry'.
- The Library's subscription to Ancestry.com currently includes access to thousands of worldwide resources including a range of European countries.
Find My Past (World edition)
- Visit the eResources portal, click the Browse eResources tab and search for 'find my past'.
- Currently, Find My Past has thousands of worldwide resources available including a range of databases from European countries.
- Cyndi's list of genealogy sites on the Internet
- FamilySearch - Freely accessible FamilySearch website currently provides provides access to millions of historical records from around the world.
- National Genealogical Society - contains a directory of United States based genealogical and historical societies
- FreeBMD - Free searching of English & Welsh BMD indexes, incomplete
- FreeCen - Free online census for England, Scotland & Wales, incomplete
- Genealogy and family heritage
- The English census website - 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 census for England and Wales. Free index, fees apply for image viewing
Microfilmed and other published material
Numerous microfilmed products are available on open access in the Newspapers and Family History zone in the Main Reading Room. These can be identified in our Family History Sources guide under the relevant State or Territory.
A selection of print publications is also available in our reference section. These include:
- Irish family history resources online by Chris Paton
- Family history trippin' : a guide to planning a genealogy research trip by Thomas MacEntee
The Family Tree guidebook to Europe : your essential guide to trace your genealogy in Europe / Allison Dolan and the editors of Family Tree Magazine. Family Tree Books : Cincinnati, Ohio, 2013.
Call number: RX 929.107204 D659