Overseas family history-related resources are available in a variety of formats including online, CDROM, microfiche, microfilm and books. Overseas libraries and archives hold material relevant to their own region. See our Other libraries and archives page in this guide.
In eResources you can find bookmarked free websites, networked family history CDs and subscription services. You will need to come to the Library's reading rooms to use some of these.
- Ancestry (Library edition)
The Library's subscription to Ancestry.com currently includes access to thousands of worldwide resources including a range of European countries.
- Find My Past (World edition)
Currently, Find My Past has thousands of worldwide resources available including a range of databases from European countries.
- Cyndi's list of genealogy sites on the Internet
- FamilySearch - Freely accessible FamilySearch website currently provides provides access to millions of historical records from around the world.
- FGS, Society Hall - comprehensive directory of genealogical and historical societies on the webFreeBMD - Free searching of English & Welsh BMD indexes, incomplete
- FreeCen - Free online census for England, Scotland & Wales, incomplete
- Genealogy and family heritage
- The English census website - 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 census for England and Wales. Free index, fees apply for image viewing
Microfilmed and other published material
Numerous microfilmed products are available on open access in the Newspapers and Family History zone in the Main Reading Room. These can be identified in our Family History Sources guide under the relevant State or Territory.
A selection of print publications is also available in our reference section. These include:
- Irish family history resources online by Chris Paton
- Family history trippin' : a guide to planning a genealogy research trip by Thomas MacEntee