- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
Australasian resources are available in a variety of formats including online, CDROM, microfiche, microfilm and books. State Libraries and Archives, local and family history libraries may hold material relevant to their own state as well as other areas of Australia. See our Other libraries and archives page in this guide.
Many resources are available electronically. You can search eResources for known databases or browse for titles under Genealogy by visiting the eResources portal, clicking the Browse eResources tab and then select Genealogy.
In eResources you can find bookmarked free websites, networked family history CDs and subscription services. You will need to come to the Library's reading rooms to use some of these.
- Ancestry (Library edition) - Visit the eResources portal, click the Browse eResources tab and search for 'ancestry'.
The Library's subscription to Ancestry.com currently includes 151 Australian resources via its online database, 49 relating to New Zealand and a small number covering Indonesia, Micronesia and Samoa.
- Findmypast (World edition) - Visit the eResources portal, click the Browse eResources tab and search for 'findmypast'.
Currently, Findmypast has 300 resources relating to Australia and New Zealand and a small number covering Papua New Guinea and the Pacific Islands.
- Australian History Research- with links to Family History and Genealogy
- CoraWeb- web sites for genealogists
- Cyndi's list of genealogy sites on the Internet - contains a comprehensive list of Australasian resources.
- Family Search
- Genealogy and family heritage
- National Archives of Australia
- National Archives of New Zealand
- New Zealand Society of Genealogists
- New Zealand Births Deaths and Marriages Online
- Rootsweb - contains records from Australia and New Zealand
- South Australian family history and genealogy
Networked resources in the Library
In addition to our subscription databases, the Library has a number of networked CDROM resources relating to Australasia. These can be accessed through the designated PCs in the Newspapers and Family History zone. And include:
- AGCI: Australasian Genealogical Computer Index
- Index to the Historical Records of Australia
- Index to Victorian Goldfields Hospitals' Admissions: at Amherst, Ballarat, Castlemaine, Creswick, Dunolly, Kyneton, Maldon and Maryborough
- Lonely Graves in South Australia
- Melbourne General Cemetery: Index and Transcriptions of Monumental Inscriptions to 1989.
- New Zealand Burial Locator ver 1.
- New Zealand Cemeteries and Cemetery Records
- Old Jewish Section, In Use 1867-1906, Tombstones 1837-1984, Rookwood Necropolis, Sydney, Australia
- Queensland Electoral Rolls 1860-1869
- Queensland Electoral Rolls 1870-1879
- Queensland Government Railway Index to Staff Records 1878-1946
- Riverina cemeteries (version 3, 2011)
- Tasmania Collection of Records 1830s to 1930s
Microfilmed and other published material
Numerous microfilmed products on Australiasia are available on open access in the Newspapers and Family History zone. These can be identified in our Family History Sources guide under the relevant State or Territory.
A selection of print publications is also available in our reference section. Some selected titles are provided below:
Preserving your family's oral history and stories by Thomas MacEntee