WHAT DOES THE LIBRARY HOLD?
Many standards are derived from those of other countries. If the Library does not hold a particular standard for one country, you may find similar information in the equivalent standard from another country.
How to identify and locate standards from Australia and overseas
What information do you need?
Standards can be identified in three main ways:
- Standard number, e.g. AS/NZS 2032: 2006 (prefix + number: year)
- Standard title, e.g. Installation of PVC pipe systems
- Keyword: e.g. PVC pipe
You only need to know one of these elements to start planning your search.
Have you already identified the standard you need?
There are too many standards to list individually in the Library catalogue, but there are other ways to locate them:
- To locate printed copies of standards, go to the Library Catalogue record. Use the 'In the Library' tab at the end of the record to request a copy of an individual standard to use in the Library's Main Reading Room. For requesting purposes, standards are treated like an issue of a journal. You need to type in the number of the standard in the space provided for the volume number.
Do you need more details before you can search?
If you need more details to identify a particular standard, you can search for a standard number, title or subject/keyword.
- To identify current standards, use a site such as Techstreet or the SAI Global Infostore which provides information on Australian, ISO and a range of other international standards. SAI Global has suspended access to Standards Australia while they rectify suspected unauthorised use. We apologise for any inconvenience.
- To find older standards, visit the Library and consult a printed index.
WHAT ARE STANDARDS?
"Standards are published documents setting out specifications and procedures designed to ensure products, services and systems are safe, reliable and consistently perform the way they were intended to."
CATALOGUE SEARCH TIP
Not all standards have their own catalogue record, but those that do can be found through a subject search.
STANDARDS AND COPYING
Copying of standards by our Copies Direct service is provided in accordance with the Copyright Act 1968.
Visit the Library in person to request and view standards in the Main Reading Room.
Standards are available for interlibrary loan. Enquire at your local library.