Many of the National Library's eResources are available free online; others will require a User ID, found on your Library card.
Trove's digitized Australian newspapers provides numerous historical Australian newspapers published between 1803 to 1954. It includes national titles as well as those published in each Australian state and territory. It supports browsing by title, date and location as well as searches. Articles and pages can be printed and downloaded and citations are provided.
The Library's eResources portal provide listings to free media websites as well as our subscription digital resources. Some of these resources can be accessed from home or work by Australian residents who are registered readers of the Library. These can be identified in eResources by the use of the 'key' symbol and include:
- Newsbank: Access Global is a collection of full text newspapers from over 170 countries. There are over 600 Australian newspaper titles at all levels and include The Australian, The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Land and The Daily Telegraph.
- PressReader provides access to over 1000 newspapers in 40 languages from more than 80 countries including Australia. Coverage is provided for the last 3 months only.
- Sydney Morning Herald Archives 1955-1995 provides full-text coverage to every edition of The Sydney Morning Herald and The Sun-Herald between January 1st, 1955 and February 2nd, 1995. The Archives are available offsite for registered National Library readers.
- The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age : library edition provides complete digital editions of each paper from 2006 to date.
- The Tasmanian Mail 1877-1920 has been digitized and is available for access via the LINC Tasmania catalogue
You can access these databases by visiting the eResources portal and clicking the Browse eResources tab.
There are also some databases that you can only access at the Library.
Please visit our eResources page for more information and to view the full list of available databases.