- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
Our collection of maps and atlases contains some important items which can help provide context and background to First World War research. Much of the maps collection is currently uncatalogued, so readers are advised to contact staff via our Ask a Librarian service for assistance in identifying and requesting material. Digitisation of our collection of First World War mapping is ongoing.
Catalogue search tips
Subject headings which can be used to find First World War maps in our catalogue include:
- World War, 1914-1918 - Campaigns - Turkey - Gallipoli Peninsula - Maps
- World War, 1914-1918 - Campaigns - Palestine - Maps
- World War, 1914-1918 - Maps.
- World War, 1914-1918 - Europe - Maps
- Australia - History, Military - Maps
Keywords such as the following can also be used:
- 'dardanelles maps'
- 'somme maps'
Use the ‘Add limits’ drop down menu to limit your search to maps material.
Many maps in our collection remain uncatalogued and readers are advised to contact us if they cannot locate particular items.
Commercial war maps
Many maps were produced as supplements to newspapers and these provide a valuable insight into the way the progress of the war was viewed and experienced on the home front. Examples of this type of map published in both Europe and Australia are held by the Library, for example:
- What Germany wants: her claims as set forth by leaders of German thought
Call number: MAP G3201.S65 1916
- War map
Call number: MAP G5701.S65 [1914-1916?]
- The Daily Mail bird's eye map of the British Front
Call number: MAP G5831.s65 [1916-1918]
There are various titles held by the Library which can be used to support research into First World War mapping. Titles may be held in the Main Reading Room Reference Collection or in the book stacks and are available for requesting via the online catalogue.
- An atlas of Australia's wars
Call number: RF 355.00994 C652-2
- Pilgrimage : a traveller's guide to Australia's battlefields
Call number: RF 355.4 H976
- Topography of Armageddon : a British trench map atlas of the western front, 1914-1918
Call number: YYef 2014-583
- Artillerys astrologers: a history of British survey and mapping on the Western Front 1914-1918
Call number: YYq 2014-911
- The Imperial War Museum Trench Map Archive on CD-ROM
Call number: MAP mt 411